Adolphe William Bouguereau
Bouguereau made more than seven hundred finished works. French painter. From 1838 to 1841 he took drawing lessons from Louis Sage, a pupil of Ingres, while attending the coll?ge at Pons. In 1841 the family moved to Bordeaux where in 1842 his father allowed him to attend the Ecole Municipale de Dessin et de Peinture part-time, under Jean-Paul Alaux. In 1844 he won the first prize for figure painting, which confirmed his desire to become a painter. As there were insufficient family funds to send him straight to Paris he painted portraits of the local gentry from 1845 to 1846 to earn money. In 1846 he enrolled at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, in the studio of Francois-Edouard Picot. This was the beginning of the standard academic training of which he became so ardent a defender later in life. Such early works as Equality reveal the technical proficiency he had attained even while still training. In 1850 he was awarded one of the two Premier Grand Prix de Rome for Zenobia Discovered by Shepherds on the Bank of the River Araxes (1850; Paris, Ecole N. Sup. B.-A.). In December 1850 he left for Rome where he remained at the Villa Medici until 1854, working under Victor Schnetz and Jean Alaux (1786-1864). During this period he made an extensive study of Giotto's work at Assisi and Padua and was also impressed by the works of other Renaissance masters and by Classical art. On his return to France he exhibited the Triumph of the Martyr (1853; Luneville, Mus. Luneville; ) at the Salon of 1854. It depicted St Cecilia's body being carried to the catacombs, and its high finish, restrained colour and classical poses were to be constant features of his painting thereafter. All his works were executed in several stages involving an initial oil sketch followed by numerous pencil drawings taken from life. Though he generally restricted himself to classical, religious and genre subjects, he was commissioned by the state to paint Napoleon III Visiting the Flood Victims of Tarascon in 1856 Related Paintings of Adolphe William Bouguereau :. | La fortune (mk26) | nude | The Thank Offering (mk26) | Spring (mk26) | Le jour des morts (mk26) |
Related Artists:ES, Jacob van
Flemish painter (b. ca. 1596, Antwerpen, d. 1666, Antwerpen)
Flemish painter. Together with Osias Beert and Clara Peeters, he was one of the leading representatives of the archaizing trend in Flemish still-lifes. His birthplace is known from the text on an engraving by Wenceslaus Hollar after a painting by Jan Meyssens (1612-70). Van Es became a master in Antwerp in 1617 but did not join the Guild of St Luke until 1645. Jacob Gillis and Jan van Thiene were his pupils in 1621 and 1623 respectively. He enjoyed a certain esteem among fellow artists, for Jacob Jordaens, Cornelis Schut the elder and Deodaat del Monte were godfathers to his children. Numerous mentions of works by van Es in inventories of 17th-century Antwerp collectors further testify to his successTISCHBEIN, Johann Heinrich Wilhelm
German Painter, 1751-1829John William Casilear
(June 25, 1811 - August 17, 1893) was an American landscape artist belonging to the Hudson River School.
Casilear was born in New York City. His first professional training was under prominent New York engraver Peter Maverick in the 1820s, then with Asher Durand, himself an engraver at the time. Casilear and Durand became friends, and both worked as engravers in New York through the 1830s.
By the middle 1830s Durand had become interested in landscape painting through his friendship with Thomas Cole. Durand, in turn, drew Casilear's attention to painting. By 1840 Casilear's interest in art was sufficiently strong to accompany Durand, John Frederick Kensett, and artist Thomas P. Rossiter on a European trip during which they sketched scenes, visited art museums, and fostered their interest in painting.
Casilear gradually developed his talent in landscape art, painting in the style that was later to become known as the Hudson River School. By the middle 1850s he had entirely ceased his engraving career in favor of painting full-time. He was elected a full member of the National Academy of Design in 1851, having been an associate member since 1831, and exhibited his works there for over fifty years.
Casilear died in Saratoga Springs, New York in 1893.